Thursday, September 15, 2016

Silk Thread anyone?

When I first started quilting, there was only one kind of thread to use. Basically it was Coats and Clark or some very cheap polyester version. Today, there are so many thread choices it can make your head spin.

I read in one of Diane Gaudynski's books that she sometimes uses silk thread for her quilting. So I thought I would give it a try.

I made this quilt for my daughter.

I decided to try the silk thread for quilting.

It is difficult to see the quilting, but I found that the silk thread really quilted up nicely. It doesn't lay on top of your fabric like cotton thread does. Nor does it dig in like invisible thread. It just seems to blend into the fabric. And let me tell you, it sews so smoothly.

Have you ever quilted with silk thread?

Do you have a favorite thread for machine quilting??

Happy Quilting!

5 comments:

Lady Locust said...

I luuuuv silk:) it's also great for needle turn applique. I've never used it for the actual quilting. Was wondering what kind of batting you used? Does it drape any differently? I like that silk seems to glide through whatever it is that's being stitchied. Now you got my thinker all sorts of curious. . .hmmm. . .might have to play:)

Jeanna said...

I have used that same YLI silk thread for hand binding but never quilting. I found that it is very strong and just glides through the fabric.

Frances Meredith said...

I use it for applique and I love it. Yet to try it to quilt with.

moosecraft said...

I'm new to machine quilting, so appreciate your thoughts on silk threads. Sounds and looks like something I'm going to have try!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

I've never tried silk thread. I always use polyester because some cottons (even expensive brands) make so much lint in my quilting machine.