Wednesday, September 7, 2016

In a bind


Okay, okay, so binding is not my favorite thing to do. It's the last of the process, and should be the one thing that propels me to finish a project. But I just don't enjoy doing it. I know there are lots of quilters out there who absolutely love to sit in front of the telly and stitch away, finishing their latest project. I guess I am single focused. I either watch the TV program or I bind. Can't do both at the same time :-(  So in the closet of my sewing room sits a few (ahem) projects that only require sewing on the binding to be finished. I've rescued quilting projects before by sewing the binding down on the sewing machine. But that doesn't always look the best.

What about you? Is sewing on the binding your thing? Or are you scraping by with the barest of effort?

Either way I hope you have a Happy Quilting day!

11 comments:

Ellyn said...

I love to bind! if I was nearby I'd bind for you

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have a DVD and VCR player in my sewing room (no cable). I watch movies that I am familiar with (think almost memorized) while I stitch. That way I can 'listen' to the movie while I sew. I also have audio books in there. I know if I put in a new movie, that I won't get much stitching done, since I'll want to watch instead. I just finished the binding on one quilt (all machine) and have 2 more waiting for me to stitch the back of the binding down. Those have a deadline, so, they will get done.

Rebecca said...

I like that final step of binding... And I listen to audio books for most of the quilt creating process.

Elaine Adair said...

Binding - oh yes, just saying the word, brings pleasure to my mind! LOL I do love it - even on a Queen size, if I start, I can't quit! It means "time to start another quilt!" 8-)))

Angie in SoCal said...

I like all the processes except sandwiching. May I make a suggestion? I see from your photo you're right handed. Try sewing your binding on going from right to left BUT with the bulk of the quilt in front of you (or the stitch line at the top of the seam instead of at the bottom as seen in the photo). Just a suggestion

Jackie's Stitches said...

I don't mind binding at all. It's cutting fabric that I cannot seem to find any enjoyment in doing. I have always said I wish I could hire that part out!

claudia said...

Maybe we need to get a group together of people who love to do different things, one cutting the pieces, one sewing them together, one doing the sandwiching, one quilting and one binding...and then pass the quilts around to get them finished!I have never gotten beyond the piecing together of the pieces! I have lots of floppies! Sheesh! I would be really warm this winter if I could just get to the sandwiching, quilting and binding!

Paulette Voit said...

I love hand sewing. Just the motion of the thread and needle is so enjoyable.

Carline said...

Sewing the binding down is my favorite part, borders, however are not. I get the quilt top almost finished and it sits and marinades waiting for the borders. We could make a good team, you could do my borders and I will do your binding.... Make it a good day! Carline

deb said...

Don't like it at all!

Days and colors said...

Sewing the binding to a quilt is not my favorite thing either...But now I've been finishing it all by machine, "done is better than perfect" !