Monday, November 2, 2009

Catching up on a Shop Hop

Over the weekend I finished up the two week long shop hop in our area. The blocks the shops offered this time were very pretty, using fall colors and patterns. In the past I never would purchase the blocks, mostly because they were in a style that I did not care for. Living in Florida, the shop hops usually keep to a tropical theme.

So for the first time I bought some of the blocks and even a finishing kit. Now you know what that is, right? You buy a kit that is supposed to make a quilt from the blocks that you have purchased. So just as a word of warning, if you ever decide to purchase a finishing kit, make SURE that the directions to complete the quilt are included! What a surprise when I opened the package and there were no directions!!!

Okay the quilt shop did make it right, and finally emailed me the directions :-) It was a happy ending after all. But just as a word of caution, check before you leave the shop!

Happy quilting!

15 comments:

Allie said...

Two weeks of shop hop = bliss! I've never done a quilt from a kit - I started one, buying the blocks every month, then hubby lost his job and I had to stop. Maybe someday I'll find the rest of it, although the son I wanted to make it for is too old now, lol!

Susan said...

How frustrating to get home with a kit and find that you didn't have the instructions! I'm glad that the shop made it right without any trouble!

Nat Palaskas said...

I like to see what you've bought hahaha! I like the Christmas quilt in the photo though - Hugs Natima

karen said...

Very good info. Thanks

Rene' said...

Good thing you started working on the quilt kit now and not years later like I usually do ;-)) Great advice. Congratulations....I see you won over at Sherri's A Quilting Life's blog for the Schnibble Parade. How fun!!

Thanks also for the emails regarding Florida fabric stores. I'll check those two out.

Wendi said...

That would be awesome two whole weeks of Quilt Shop Hop!!! I am headed to Amish Country Quilt Shop Hop on Thursday!! CAnt wait!!!
Great Blog!:)

Barb said...

Well...it was good that the shop made it good....and I love that quilt you are showing.

blushing rose said...

Well, even as a non-sewer that makes sense ... it would be frustrating I am sure.

So how is that foot coming along, Jocelyn? Hope you are doing well. Hugs, Marydon

TTFN ~Marydon

Don't forget to enter our giveaway

Rae Ann said...

How many shops do you see in that 2 week period. That would be a blast! That's a very cute quilt!

Anonymous said...

I never thought of that happening - now, I will be more careful!

Thanks for your kind words on my Bloom Wherever You Are quilt. :) It was a fun one to make!

Blessings.

Lis Harwood said...

Is the quilt shop in Deland still there? We had a great time - me buying fabric, DH eating chocolate brownies!

Crispy said...

I've never done a shop hop. I know there was one going on this week while I'm out of town. I'll have to check it out next year :0)

Crispy

Mary said...

Oh, horrors in not finding instructions! I would have cried right on the spot! I'm so glad the store was able to get them to you...it would be so frustrating to try to complete something that someone else had started.

We have shop hops here, too, but always on a day that I couldn't go...maybe next year...they sound like such fun!

Happy TTT

Shirley said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt come together. The finishing kit is a good idea. Our Shop Hops here never offer one.

Cindy said...

Did you find lots of goodies at the Shop Hop? More than anything, when doing a shop hop, I love coming home with the many ideas you get from seeing all the beautiful quilts, gifts and wearables.